Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Decluttering My Life...Stage 1...The House

As I posted yesterday, I had a new found energy. When I left work, I had to go pick up Nathan and Larissa. I still managed to make it home by 6pm due to the holiday. I made dinner, we ate and I got to cleaning. I wish I had taken pictures.

There are days when I can’t stand to look at things, all things….toys, clothes, knick knacks and just about anything. I am de-cluttering my life this year, starting with my house. I went right up to the boys room where it’s always the worst room. Toys, clothes and papers everywhere. They manage to turn that house upside down the day after it is cleaned. I think that is mainly to do with the fact that they just have too much. I have been doing my best to not add to that. I have been throwing out all broken toys, donating all old toys they no longer play with and just keep things simple. The last time I did an overhaul on their room, I got rid of a lot. Then I started throwing what I found throughout the house into a gray storage container. Now that was the first problem. That box was filled to the max ! I went through it and found slippers that no longer fit, toys that were no longer played with, broken pieces to toys that had already been thrown out and garbage. Really? So I grabbed a big black trash bag so that nobody would see what I was taking out of the room. Just as I was leaving the boys room though, the bottom of the bag ripped and out came all the stuff just as CJ reached the top of the stairs. He immediately wanted to know where I was taking everything and why I was putting it in a bag. I told him that I was cleaning for out upcoming move (in 4 ½ months…yes I am still counting) and I needed to start putting things away that he might not need until the move. I was surprised when that answer was good enough for him. He went back downstairs to play and I proceeded to get it all bagged up and out of the room again. I also took that darn gray bin out of the room so that nothing else ends up in it…lol.

Then I went downstairs and worked on the living room. There were still leftover Christmas presents and from everyone being sick all weekend long, the living room was horrible and I couldn’t stand to look at it any longer. I started giving the kids things for their rooms one by one. It is not done yet but it certainly looks a lot better and I won’t be embarrassed to have anyone walk in now.

I guess I should add in that last weekend I cleaned the basement. That is Jose’s territory and I try to stay away from it but when I see it getting out of hand, I have to step in! My heart broke yesterday when I got home from work and saw the mess. Jose will clean it but not the way I need it to be cleaned. He does an ok job in an emergency but he really cleans like a guy. I usually can’t find anything when he is done and things are piled up and shoved in places they don’t belong…lol. I have to give him credit for trying but I wish he would learn how to do it right already !

Tonight I will finish the living room and move onto the kitchen.

No comments:

Catching up...oh yeah, and I bought a house.

Catching up is the understatement of the year. It's been quite a while since I have been here. The truth is that life has been one adven...