Monday, August 3, 2009

My Godparents Are Together Again....Finally.

Anyone who knows me well, knows that my god-parents are two of the most influential people in my life. They are exceptional, and they are forever and always in my heart. Most people never even knew their names because I always referred to them as my godfather and my godmother. That was more important than their names to me. I called them Pa Henry and Ma Mary but their real names were Henrique Paul Lourenco and Mary C Lourenco. They were reunited in heaven the end of last year, but sadly I don't know that date.
My godfather passed away when I was in high school. His death was one of the most emotional times of my life. He was amazing but he was suffering so much and even at that young age, I knew that it was better that he was no longer suffering. I have a strong faith in God, always have. I remember the day like it was yesterday. I snuck down to the basement to "his" room and just sat there crying and talking to God. I told him that I was sorry that I had been begging for him to live longer just because I wasn't ready to lose him. I told him that if he was suffering that I would understand if it was his time to go and be without pain once again. Almost instantly, the nurse came down to say that he had passed. As a teen, I thought it was my doing, that it was because of my talk with God that he had passed. I don't know that it wasn't. Maybe God was waiting for me to be able to handle his loss. Maybe he just needed to be let go. But I truly understood his death but his loss still stays in my heart to this day. I know that he is looking down at me and so proud of the person that I have become. He is my guardian angel.

My godmother out lived him. She was very peppy and energetic and was always ready to go out. She put her hair up in rollers each night and always had her nails done. She always liked to look nice. That is until she was place in a nursing home. I had heard her say many times that is the last place she wanted to be and it killed me to see her there. It wasn't long after being put there that she started losing her mind. They say that it was either Alzeimers or Dimensia but honestly, in my heart, I think she just gave up. I think that it hurt her so much to be there that she just didn't want to remember. The life that she loved and lived each day had been taken away from her and being there was just sad to her. She always said that God would punish those that put her there and truly that has come true. That is another story all together though.

On my last trip to RI, I called the nursing home to make sure that they would allow me in since I was running so late and wouldn't arrive until well after 8 which is their visiting hours. I could tell by the nurse's reaction that something was wrong. I thought maybe she wasn't there but had to be taken to the hospitol or something. I had no idea that it was worst. She told me that she had passed last year. She thought it was November but it could have been early December. She knew for sure that it was before Christmas because they all missed her for the holiday. My godmother was loved by all that knew her....even in her last days. I had to pull over on the side of the road to stop from creating an accident. My godmother had passed away almost nine months ago and nobody bothered to contact me or my mother to let us know. The emotions were and are overwhelming. The love I still have to this day for my godparents is more than I could ever explain. I did make it to the cemetary with some very dear friends. I took flowers for both my godparents and pictures to bring back with me since I can't just run to the cemetary to see them. I said my final goodbye to my godmother that I was not allowed to do personally.

I now smile because I know that my godfather and my godmother are together at last again. I know that they are holding each other and dancing and laughing. They are the way they should be...together and looking over me and my family.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

that was a sad way to find out and she is looking down on you since she was such an important part of your life

Catching up...oh yeah, and I bought a house.

Catching up is the understatement of the year. It's been quite a while since I have been here. The truth is that life has been one adven...