
After doing a tremendous amount of snooping around and research I have discovered that all the Bibles that I was able to see (and those of people who emailed me back) all stated that God told Adam not to eat of the fruit and then created Eve.
This actually began to bug me as to why Eve was punished as well. I am not so sure that I found the exact answer that I was looking for to this but I did get into some great conversations and I did come across this answer as well as yet another question that had not occurred to me but was answered too. I hope that this helps you in your journey because I know that it helped me. Here is best answer that I could come up with:
Question: Did God tell Eve about the forbidden fruit directly and personally?
Genesis 2.16 clearly states that God commanded the MAN (Adam) not to eat the fruit, and warned him that eating the fruit would cause death.
The Bible is silent as to who told Eve but, from her conversation with the serpent (Gen 3.1-5), it is clear that Eve was quite aware of God's command.
God has made husbands responsible to be the spiritual leaders of their families, and to protect them, even if the husband must die in so doing (Eph 5.22-24).
Accordingly, it was Adam's responsibility to both warn and defend his wife from eating of the forbidden fruit. He may have done the former, but he very definitely did not do the latter.
Here is the question that had not even occurred to me but I am glad that I found it:
Question: What would have happened if only Eve had eaten the forbidden fruit, but not Adam? Would Eve have died while Adam would have lived forever?
The Bible does not answer this perplexing question.
Notice that God pronounced SEPARATE judgments on the serpent (Gen 3.14-15), Eve (Gen 3.16), and Adam (Gen 3.17).
God's judgments on Adam spoke of death whereas God's judgments on Eve did not. Moreover, Romans 5.12 would seem to indicate that it was Adam's sin that brought death into the human race.
Per Gen 2.16-17, it was Adam to whom God gave the command NOT to eat of the forbidden fruit. It was also Adam to whom God gave the warning that eating of the fruit would result in death.
I actually now feel as though I can finally move on in my reading of the Bible because I am content with I know and what I got out of it. The journey continues.
By the way, if you have any info that you would like to add to this, I would love to hear it. Just because I move on doesn't mean that I don't want to learn even more.
No comments:
Post a Comment