Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Got My Tire Fixed at Lunch Today !


I just want to start by saying that quite a few years back when I bought my green couches, I had quite a story because it was as if they sent the three stooges to deliver the couches. If I can find that story that I sent you all, I will have to post it here. This is not about my couches but it is just as funny !

We got a flat tire last night on our way home from picking up CJ. Jose put the donut on and since I am the one who takes the car, I planned to take it and it get it fixed today at lunch. The donut was in bad shape so we needed to repair it quickly.

Today during lunch I went to a place down the street from my job. You know one of those whole in the wall places with used tires that is in/out quickly...or so I thought.

I pull up with the donut on the car and the guy asks me, "what do you need?". I point to the tire and tell him that I need a tire. He asks, "do you know what size it is?". I walk over to the car and read the size to him from the tire...something that he could have and should have done himself. By this time, I didn't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about this place but I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt...not sure why ! He returns and tells me that they have a tire. I already knew this because I had called ahead to check and to get a price so that I could have the money. Soooo, he proceeds to by jacking up the car. While he is getting the lugg remover, I go into the trunk and take out the flat tire and roll it over to him. He asks me "what's that?" and I tell him that it's my tire. I am not kidding, this is serious, he really asked me that ! He asks me, "what do you want me to do with that?" I say "put it on my car!". I was starting to really get worked up now. He looks at me with a very puzzled look on his face and says, "so you want me to take this one off (pointing to the donut on the car) and put that one on (pointing to my flat tire)?". I say "NO! I want you to take the donut off, fix my flat and then put it on the car, it's flat and that is whwy I am here to buy a new one!" I was really starting to think that I was on candid camera. Is this guy for real? But wait, it's not over.

He walks over to take the donut off. I reach into the car to get the lock for the luggs. He grabs it, looks at it and says that he doesn't need it and places it on the ground. I stand there just waiting for him to realize that he needs it. He tries and tries and finally calls over another guy, who clearly knows more about changing a tire then he does...which doesn't take much. He tells the other man that he can't get my luggs off and the man tells him that is because he needs the lock for them. The idiot looks at me and asks for the lock. I point to the lock on the ground "that is the lock on the ground that you said you didn't need". I didn't know if I wanted to cry or laugh at this point. Using the lock was another adventure all together. He had to call over the other guy again for help. Can I just tell you that I could have done it faster myself but maybe that is because I have had 100 too many flat tires in my lifetime. :o)

Anyhoo...he finally takes my donut off. Amen ! He takes my flat tire into the back to replace the tire....you know, the whole reason why I am there in the first place ! I mean, everything that he has done until now I could have done myself. Shoot ! All he's done so far is take my donut off, my kids could have done that ! Changing the tires should have taken 5 minutes but of course, you know that it didn't. He had no clue was he was doing. He didn't know how to lock the rim in place, he didn't know how to take the tire off or how to put the new one on.

Now I understand that this was probably his first day on the job. I know the feeling of learning something new and it being your first day. Thing is that he was a rugged looking man that was my age if not older. You mean to tell me that he has never changed a tire or at least seen one changed?!

So he manages to put the changed tire back on the car while I put the donut in the trunk. Yeah, I was already pretty dirty by now anyways. Once again, he struggled with using the lock to put the luggs back on but got it with some help from the other man. I paid, he handed me the lock and I drove off praying that my tire didn't fall off on my way back to work. I did make it back to work and so far everything seems fine. I hope that we can make it home !

So 45 minutes and $33 later, I have my tire fixed and a story to go with it. Have I just been punked??????

No comments:

Catching up...oh yeah, and I bought a house.

Catching up is the understatement of the year. It's been quite a while since I have been here. The truth is that life has been one adven...