
Saturday is our big day. Finally the much anticipated day. I am hoping that the predicted rain for the evening really does wait til the evening. With this move and all the packing and madness, it has been forever since I have cooked. I miss good old fashioned home cooking. So starting Monday (I hope), I am going back to cooking dinner again.
I have been doing lots of research on cooking meals and freezing them and having prepared meals for days when the time to cook is just not that great. Right before everything went bazerk because of the packing and moving, I was getting stressed with being away from the house three nights out of a five nights during the week. I hated not being home to cook dinner and sitting with the family. Being able to leave instructions for Nathan and Larissa to take something out of the freezer and put it in the oven would be ideal and much more yummy than the crap that we have been eating non-stop. Although they like to cook too, it gets hectic with their schoolwork and timing so I don't want to put that on them every night. I will still dedicate each of them a night though because it keeps them involved in the responsibility of things in the house and they really do enjoy cooking too.
Do you know that there are tons of websites and blogs dedicated to spending one whole day a month cooking for the month? That is crazy. I don't want to do that, I like variety and randomness sometimes. I do want to go back to planning out the week though. Planning for the week has always worked for me. It allows me to know what to buy at the store instead of buying everything. It stops the kids from asking over and over again, "what's for dinner?" and it stops me from having to go crazy on my way home trying to figure out what I am going to make. Although this is my plan to jump into right away, I am always looking for other options.
I am actually also trying out a cooking co-op. I am just "trying" it because I am not convinced that it is for me but I am willing to give it a shot. You are probably wondering what it is exactly, well this is the description that she sent to me:
Everyone brings 4 recipes of things they would like to cook to our meeting. The group then decides together which 2 dishes each person makes. They then make enough for each family, and the next month each family gets one dish.
For example, our group used to have 5 women. The largest family was 6 people, all others were ok with 3 serving dishes. So say I am to make baked ziti and Minestrone. I will make 10 3-serving dishes of baked ziti and 10 3-serving dishes of minestrone. When we swap the food, every woman receives 2 3-serving dishes of baked ziti and 2 3-serving dishes of minestrone.
I also receive 2 3-serving dishes on what everybody else made, so at the end of our swap I end up with 20 3-serving meals (10 different dishes) in my freezer, ready to be prepared.
Like I said, I am not sure that it will work for me. I have no idea what the other dishes will be and if it will be things that my family will like to eat. Buying in bulk is def cheaper so it's gotta be worth the try at least. The first meeting is on the 28th and I will have to keep you all posted as to what happens and how it comes together. I have actually always wanted to try something like this so I guess this is a great time. I just don't know how much I will enjoy making that much of one dish but maybe the rewards of all the other different dishes will balance it out...lol.
Ok...enough about my cooking escapades. I really do miss cooking and can't wait to have everything in it's place so that I can get back into my normal routine ! Talk to you all later.
No comments:
Post a Comment