Friday, January 28, 2011

Diana's Question

This is for you Diana.

My friend, Diana, asked a question a while back on her FB wall. Although I tried to answer from my phone I knew that it would be too long for my phone or FB. The thought had not crossed my mind again until today.

So let's start with the question. Diana is getting married this year and the question was something about a couple that has withstood the test of marriage and time and that you most admire or look up to...something to that effect. Sorry for not remembering the exact question Diana.

Sometimes I really have to ponder on questions but this is not one of those questions. This was an easy one for me. My godparents. You are all probably tired of hearing about my godparents but they were and continue to be the most influential people in my life. They are the kind of people that I want to be. They are the couple that I model my relationship with Jose after. They knew what it took to make a marriage work, really work. They had their struggles like everyone else but you hardly ever knew it. And it certainly wasn't because they went around saying it. They were private people when it came to their problems and they solved them together. Having spend many a summers with them in their home, I got to see some of their struggles. But what was more touching and more overwhelming was the LOVE that I witnessed in their home. You could just feel the love. It was present in their actions and their words...even when they were mad at each other. There was a level of respect that is hard to find in todays world. It was a love that can only be described as true love.

They only had one child but their house was always full of children. They both came from large families and family was a very important factor for both of them. Family was more than just blood to them. Family was a feeling that brought and kept people together. Each day in that house was filled with laughter. My godmother was always singing (she was not a good singer by any means but she enjoyed herself so much and that made everyone with her enjoy themselves too) and my godfather always had something funny to say (sometimes I thought that he had wanted to be a comdian). There was a light heartedness about them that just made you want to be around them. Their house always had something in the oven cooking and always enough to offer to anyone who happened to stop by. They were constantly talking to each other...about anything and everything. Communication was the one thing that never lacked in the home. And although they enjoyed doing many things together, they also had their own hobbies that they made time for and their own personal time. They knew the secrets to making a marriage last, the secrets that many people never learn.

My godfather passed away when I was 16. He went home to die in Nov and he lasted two months before his death on January 26th. During those two months, my godmother was by his side 24 hours a day making sure that he was taken care of in every way possible during his last days. After he passed, not one day passed that she didn't talk about him and smile but she was never the same. She has this sadness about her that was clearly because she missed her one true love. My godmother has since passed as well. I believe that she is where she belongs now...back with my godfather. I know that their love affair continues on forever.

Jose and I are not married but I know that we will be someday. I work hard to make our relationship just as strong and just as wonderful as my godparents. I hope that someday, somebody can look back on us and have us be inspirational to them. I am so blessed to have had them in my life. Blessed to have witnessed such a beautiful thing. Blessed to have such an example to follow.

So Diana, I hope that answers your question. Marriage is not easy. It's just the beginning of the rest of your life together. Who would have thought that the beginning would be after 10 years...lol. I just had to add some humor but it's true. Marriage is not easy. It's hard work and requires a lot of energy and a lot of patience. You and Mike have proven that you have what it takes to make it work. You have established a life together already that many couples only dream of. You guys have a beautiful home and two handsome boys. You have endured hard times and happy times. You have each other. Congrats again and I can't wait to see you walk down that isle.

No comments:

Catching up...oh yeah, and I bought a house.

Catching up is the understatement of the year. It's been quite a while since I have been here. The truth is that life has been one adven...