Wednesday, July 21, 2010

To Sew or Not to Sew?

If you know me then you know that I can pretty much do anything that I put my mind to it. Not all things turn out the way they are intended but they get done...my way. I don't like to bake but I can bake. I can bake cakes, cupcakes, cookies and bread. I don't enjoy it but I can do it. I would much rather buy some cookies and spend time in the kitchen decorating them with the kids. Decorating has always been my thing. From rooms to cookies and from pictures to clothes, I enjoy the crafty side of it all. Although I don't consider myself to be Superwoman, I often feel as though I am or need to be. I am sure that I am not alone on this. From working mothers to stay at home mothers, we all feel like we have to wear MANY hats in juggling our family. Like most people though, I have my exception too. My exception is sewing.
I should start by telling you that my mother can sew. Wait, I didn't make that clear enough. My mother can't just sew, my mother can SEW ! She made much of my clothes growing up. She made some clothes for Larissa when she was born, she even made Larissa's Quince gown. I mean she can SEW. So I am not quite sure why I seem to be cursed with a needle and thread. Don't get me wrong, I can manage to get things done my way. I make pillows using hem tape. I can manage to sew on a button but that is really the extent of my use with a needle and a thread. Last night I had to sew on some of Nathan's badges for boyscouts and what a disaster. Originally I hot glued them on. I know what you are probably thinking but they had to be done and that was the only way at the time that I thought of doing it. It was dumb and I can admit it. So many washes later and all the patches and badges are falling off...lol ! So I came to realization that I needed to sew them on. I sat last night sewing them on...very badly. So badly in fact that I am going to have to remove them this weekend and start over. At least they aren't falling off but goodness, it honestly looks like a child did it. I am quite sure that Nathan might have been able to do a better job himself. In my defense, I was in a hurry and I am hoping that is the reason I can not sew a simple patch on son's shirt. If all else fails though, I will use hem tape for them this weekend.
This sewing situation is not new to me either. I have always been cursed. When I was six, my mother was trying to show me how to sew a straight line with her sewing machine and somehow (God only knows how) I managed to get my thumb under the needle and it broke into five different peices and I had to be rushed to the ER to have the peices removed from my thumb and to have stitches. I would say that situation traumatized me but it really didn't. I have attempted my hand at a sewing machine many many many times after that and each and every time I tried, the machine ate my fabric. I know that sounds silly but it really did. You know that peice in the machine that allows the needle to go into the machine and then back up. Well somehow my material ends up in there....jammed ! I know, it looks like there isn't even room for the material to get stuck in there but leave it to me. It really frustrates me too because I really do want to be able to sew. I have all the common sense to do it. I can cut a pattern and I can put it together....just not using a needle and a thread. Seriously, what is my problem?!

No comments:

Catching up...oh yeah, and I bought a house.

Catching up is the understatement of the year. It's been quite a while since I have been here. The truth is that life has been one adven...