Monday, September 24, 2012

Baking and More Baking

I don’t like to bake.

Well…I don’t like to bake in the traditional sense. I mean, why do I need to measure out the flour, the sugar, the baking powder and everything else you need when I can go to the store and buy a box that already has everything in it measured out for me. Doing all that just has never really interested me.

I have always been more of a cook. You know, a little bit of this and a little bit of that and it comes out different every time but it comes out great. I like that if you don’t have butter, you can use oil or spray or if you don’t have chicken, you can make it with beef or shrimp. I am not very good at having all the things on hand and measuring. It’s a taste thing. I make it to taste, sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less depending on my mood.

So you can imagine my surprise when I find myself baking. I mean baking a lot. It started with cake pops. Then it was chocolate chip covered s’mores. Then it was brownie covered oreos. And some cupcakes and muffins mixed in between too.
Here is what I have realized. I don’t like to bake, I like to create. I like creations. I don’t just like to make brownies. I like the oreo covered brownies and I have tried the regular oreos and the mint oreos and even threw some peanut butter into some brownies when I had batter left over. It is all about the creation to me. Most of what I have been doing is from a box but I have doctored it up to be a new creation. Not my creations. I can’t take credit for them, but I have played with the ideas until they worked for me.

I can’t seem to get the chocolate thin enough on the cake pops to make them smooth the way that they should be but that didn’t stop me. As a matter of fact, everyone likes them just the way they are. I am excited about trying out the Halloween oreos so that I can make the brownie covered oreos with the orange crème. I am picking my brain at what I can sprinkle on top to make them festive on the outside as well as on the inside. It’s all about being prettier. You do eat with your eyes first after all.

So this past weekend I made the brownie covered oreos for our friends from MA that came to spend the day with us. They seemed to like them a lot. Then Sunday I made apple cinnamon muffins in the morning for breakfast and I made brownie covered mint oreos for a party that I went to for a girl here at work. I had made the regular ones before for work and she requested that I make them. I thought that it would be cool to try the mint ones and they were a huge hit. I had extra batter left over so I used up some leftover regular ones from Saturday and I drizzled some white chocolate over them so that people would know which ones were regular and which ones were mint. And I still had more batter leftover so I added peanut butter to those. My family wasn’t fond of the peanut butter ones so that is motivation for me to play with them a bit more until I can make ones they love.

I will post pictures tomorrow of all my goodies that I have been talking about today.

No comments:

Catching up...oh yeah, and I bought a house.

Catching up is the understatement of the year. It's been quite a while since I have been here. The truth is that life has been one adven...