Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Larissa Has Made A Decision

Larissa has made a decision. We had another nice talk at the airport last night. Turns out that she has made some decisions already that I was not aware of. She definitely wants to go back to NC when she turns 18. Not sure if she will feel the same way after this trip.

Why you might ask? Well, as I stated in my post yesterday, I don’t think you can always go back to things the way that they were because life is never the same. People’s lives change. When you are in high school, your whole world revolves around your friends but then people get lives. People get jobs, they get married, they have babies and they no longer have the same time available that they once did. I am not saying that this will happen but it could.

Now back to the fact that she wants to move back when she turns 18. I am ok with it. I am really ok with it. This might be what she needs to spread her wings and fly. On the other hand, this may be what she needs to fall and learn how to get back up. No matter what comes of this choice she had made, it’s her choice and I respect that. I moved out of my mother’s house when I was 18 and I made it. We are two different people and I am sure that she will head down a different road than I did but that is part of growing up. I can’t protect her from getting hurt. It is getting hurt that makes you stronger. I actually think that this is the best choice for her. She needs to grow on her own.

She did tell me that her short term plans are to graduate in June 2012, work here to save up money until she is 18, move to NC and stay with Nina (she says that she has checked with Nina’s mom) until her and Nina can save up for a place of their own. I believe it can happen…if she wants it bad enough. I am also pretty sure that she has not thought the whole thing through but I can honestly say that I had not thought the whole thing through when I moved out of my mother’s either. It’s something that you learn as you go along. She will be paying for her cell phone bill and she has to find a way back and forth to work. If that is by way of a car then she needs to pay for insurance and if it’s by way of bus then she needs to budget for that. I will be sure to try to help her plan for all this before she goes.

It doesn’t feel real. It doesn’t even feel real that she is turning 18, never mind moving away from me. I knew this day would come though and I knew that it wouldn’t be easy. It is bitter sweet. I finally feel like she is growing up and that makes me proud but I am going to miss her being with me every day. I have to stop thinking about this now or I will end up tearing up.

No comments:

Catching up...oh yeah, and I bought a house.

Catching up is the understatement of the year. It's been quite a while since I have been here. The truth is that life has been one adven...