Monday, June 28, 2010

Cicadas !!!!


So we have these two beautiful old trees in front of our house and they are wonderful. They provide the house with so much shade and it is just one of the reasons that it takes so little to keep the house cool. This past month, we started hearing this loud noise. I can't even really explain the noise to you. Ironically, it was my son, Nathan, that told us what it was.

The noise is made by Cincadas and I got to see one up close. They are not very attractive looking insects and as far as insects go, damn are they HUGE. Apparently though, they are harmless. So that is what is making all that noise and I decided to do some research on them. We are going to have to tolerate this "singing" from June to October depending on the heat. I think that we actually started hearing it in May because it has been unusually hot here. The ones we have are dog day cicadas and they are green...much like a grasshopper. I wonder if I will ever be able to get a picture for you to see. I read somewhere that they are rarely seen so I feel privelaged to have seen one. It was on the screen door to my front porch. I was going to check the mail and it was attached to the screen. I checked the mail and went back quickly inside. It had crossed my mind to take a picture but just decided against it...of all times !

So if any of you come to visit and here a very loud noise coming from the front of my house, maybe you can open my door and be lucky enough to see one as well. I am very thankful that they are outside and not inside though !

FYI: The picture here was not mine. I got off the internet just so that you could see what they look like. The one that I saw was easily 3 inches long and I would say almost an inch think. It was a plump one for sure...lol.

1 comment:

teresa paula said...

ok my friend you have lost it ... its puff puff pass not hold ok. LOL luv you

Catching up...oh yeah, and I bought a house.

Catching up is the understatement of the year. It's been quite a while since I have been here. The truth is that life has been one adven...