Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Update on CJ

Although most of you already received this information via email from me, I wanted to start my many blogs with this since I think that it's important. I also want to be able to look back and track the progress through this.
Ok...here it is. We had Early Intervention come out to the house this morning to evaluate CJ to determine whether they consider him developmentally behind on his speech and therefore a candidate for their state funded program. The nurse and case worker came out and spent a great deal of time with us observing CJ and interacting with him. Her determination is that he is developmentally behind with his speech, which we already knew and that is why we went to them...lol. She said that he is at about 18 months with speech but way ahead with all the other areas they tested (cognitive, interactive, ect...). He has been approved for the program, yah! The next step is working on a plan of what goals we want to meet while in this program which we will do on the 5th of January. From there she is scheduling play therapy for him. Basically a speech therapist comes out and "plays" with him and tries to engage him into talking through play. She said it might or might not work. He is also being scheduled for a full speech evaluation so that they can determine the true cause of his delay in speech. It appears as though he might need speech therapy to give him the jump that he needs. If he is not caught up by the time he turns 3, then this same program enables him to go to preschool for free. Another great perk of the program. With all that being said, I want to let you all know what the nurse thinks is the problem, only to be determined by the speech evaluation of course. She said that he is not talking because he does NOT want to. She said that through all his other actions while she was observing that he has traits of a person who has to be in full control and he IS in full control of his speech. His way or no way ! I think that is pretty funny considering both Jose and I...I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree now does it?! But seriously, he is 2 years old and in complete control enough so that he would rather struggle to ask for what he wants then to give in and just say the damn word....then again, he uses us as puppets to get what he wants, he is the one in control the whole time...we have a long road ahead of us if she is right. A 2 year old that knows that much already can only get worst, right?! Although I think that some of this is amuzing, I can't help but wonder what the future has in store for us after all this did not just start now, he has been doing this for a while now. She agrees that he is way too smart for his age. So we will take this journey one step at a time. I am asking for all your prayers because we are going to need them, especially with the patience that we are going to need to have.

No comments:

Catching up...oh yeah, and I bought a house.

Catching up is the understatement of the year. It's been quite a while since I have been here. The truth is that life has been one adven...