We exchanged Secret Santa gifts at work today. Luckily I got my co-worker that I work hand in hand with and know really well because I really haven't been here long enough to buy for some of the other ladies. I enjoyed buying for Kelly although I didn't end up buying what I wanted for her...it's all good though. From my secret santa, I got a gift card to a bookstore and a book light from my boss. I know exactly what book I am getting too. I am going to buy The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck.
I really don't know when I got this huge desire to read. It really has intensified throughout the years. Maybe it is my little escape from the kids, who knows. I have been going through one book after another and for the most part, I must be a roll because, the ones that I have been picking have been incredible. If you have any that you have read and would like to recommend, please do so because I always love to find out about new books. I just finished reading The Shack by William Young. I would recommend that to everyone. I had heard so much about it and thought that maybe the book would not be as good because of that. Instead, the book was just amazing and just really makes you think of your own life. I have to say that I am quite fond of books that make you ponder on your own life.
I am also on the second book of the Sisterhood Series by Fern Michaels. I wasn't sure that I was going to like the series but since I have liked all the books that I have read by her, I thought that I would try it. I got through the first book in one night and then had to wait for the library to get the second one in. The second one is a slower read than the first but that is because my mind has been busy with Christmas stuff.
Oh, this past birthday, my wonderful best friend bought me Sisters by Danielle Steele and that was a great book too. I cried through the whole thing. that is yet another book that I would highly recommend to all. That was an easy read too so for those of you that find it hard to get through a book, this is the one for you.
So any recommendations from all of you out there??? I am hoping for at least a couple.
My life is an open book. As you read through my posts, you are turning the pages of my life. I believe that everything happens for a reason and God will only give you what you can handle. I am a strong woman and my life has been full of trials. I am happy to share the stories of my life with you.
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Catching up...oh yeah, and I bought a house.
Catching up is the understatement of the year. It's been quite a while since I have been here. The truth is that life has been one adven...
-
So Jose and I have been searching high and low for a house. Just Friday and Saturday alone were hours of looking, making appointments, seein...
-
Today was CJ's first day of pre-school. He was really happy the whole way there and when we drove up, he said.."mama, not miss gina...
-
I am sorry that I have not written a few days. I have been feeling under the weather lately to say the least. Sunday I spent in bed most of ...
2 comments:
The books out right now by Gregory Maguire are great. I'm still reading Wicked which is awesome. It's about the life of the Wixked Witch of the West (and now playing on Broadway-great musical). Confessions of an Ugly StepSister is about Cinderella's step sister. The there's Lost...Winifred Rudge, a bemused writer struggling to get beyond the runaway success of her mass-market astrology book, travels to London to jump-start her new novel about a woman who is being haunted by the ghost of Jack the Ripper. Upon her arrival, she finds that her stepcousin and old friend John Comestor has disappeared, and a ghostly presence seems to have taken over his home. Is the spirit Winnie's great-great-grandfather, who, family legend claims, was Charles Dickens's childhood inspiration for Ebenezer Scrooge? Could it be the ghostly remains of Jack the Ripper? Or a phantasm derived from a more arcane and insidious origin? Winnie begins to investigate and finds herself the unwilling audience for a drama of specters and shades -- some from her family's peculiar history and some from her own unvanquished past. Mirror, Mirror...The year is 1502, and seven-year-old Bianca de Nevada lives perched high above the rolling hills and valleys of Tuscany and Umbria at Montefiore, the farm of her beloved father, Don Vicente. But one day a noble entourage makes its way up the winding slopes to the farm — and the world comes to Montefiore.
In the presence of Cesare Borgia and his sister, the lovely and vain Lucrezia — decadent children of a wicked pope — no one can claim innocence for very long. When Borgia sends Don Vicente on a years-long quest, he leaves Bianca under the care — so to speak — of Lucrezia.
She plots a dire fate for the young girl in the woods below the farm, but in the dark forest salvation can be found as well ...
A lyrical work of stunning creative vision, Mirror Mirror gives fresh life to the classic story of Snow White — and has a truth and beauty all its own.
And Son of A Witch which is the sequel to Wicked.
And of course, my favorite, the Harry Potter series
I completely agree about Gregory Maguire - fascinating author. Everytime I listen to Wicked (after having seen the musical), it brings me to tears! :)
Some other good authors:
- Laurie Notaro (insanely funny!)
- Jodi Picoult
- Jennifer Weiner (In Her Shoes, Little Earthquakes...)
- Jane Green (British author of Swapping Lifes, The Other Woman, Jemima J - very cute)
- Candace Bushnell (SATC, Trading Up, Lipstick Jungle)
- Marian Keyes, Irish author that can make me laugh out loud
- Stephenie Meyers (Twilight)
Oh my gosh I could go on and on and on...
Post a Comment