Monday, April 9, 2012

Repurposing Furniture

The time to move it getting closer and the stress has me a little on edge. The thought of moving again…well, I just don’t have to say it because I have said it a million times and everyone knows how I feel. I am starting to feel like a broken record. :o)

Last night my brother in law brought me a new/old dresser. First of all, I just want to say that yes, I do still call Marco my brother in law even though he is my ex-husband’s brother. My ex is a screw up for all intent and purposes and his family is a little on the crazy side, ok maybe a lot of the crazy side, but they have been there for me and they can really be wonderful. I am blessed to have the love and support of many families. Anyways, I got off track. Marco has a business where he goes and cleans out houses for real estate companies and small companies too. He gets to keep what is there. I had been on the hunt for some good quality furniture at very low prices. I am just tired of the cheap furniture that falls apart just months after buying it. My free kitchen table is one of my keepers and first attempt at making something old new and great. I love that table. I am not sure if I will keep it or not depending on our new space but I am confident that if I don’t keep it that I will get a new old table that will make me just as happy. So Marco has brought me two dressers in total and they are beautiful. They are old but they are solid. I have not done anything with them yet. I am still undecided where each dresser will go. The boys both need dressers and so did I. That was a minimum. I feel like my house is slowly coming together with things that I really love though. Not someone else’s furniture given to me, ironic since it is someone else’s furniture and it is almost being given to me…lol. But this furniture is really what I have been looking for. I can’t wait to take time and actually get to work on them. But once again, I can’t do that until I decide what room they are going in.



This is the first one. It is currently in our living room. It landed there totally by accident. I didn’t know where to put it so instead of having it hauled up the stairs, I just told them to put it in the space the I had in the living room. It has very helpful in housing our board games that were usually stacked up on the floor and now provides a surface for our 3D tv and PSP3 that were in our bedroom but have somehow made its way downstairs. My intention is to take the electronics back to our bedroom and use the dresser in one of the bedrooms but the size of the piece seems to work well in holding the games and CJ’s lego’s. Depending on the new house that we find, I might decide to not use it in a bedroom. It would look great in an entry with two lamps on it. Since I have no clue what kind of space we will have in our new place, I will have to wait to do any work on them. :o( Yes, this makes me very sad.

But this is what I would love to do with it:





This is the second one. What a great piece. I do have to use some finishing nails for a part in the side but it is in great shape and it’s solid. This one is currently just hanging out in my hallway upstairs. God only knows where it will end up. I think that I will be moving it into our bedroom tonight though so that I can put some of my clothes away and so that I can start to get some organization with the new pieces. I am not sure that it won’t end up being for either of the boys. We will see. Only time will tell.

So that is the adventures of my found trash to treasure pieces. I am very happy working on making our house a home…well, at least the things in our house….lol.

No comments:

Catching up...oh yeah, and I bought a house.

Catching up is the understatement of the year. It's been quite a while since I have been here. The truth is that life has been one adven...