I was busy this weekend. I have had a dining room table and 6 chairs that my best friend gave to me because she was wanted to get rid of them this past summer when she was updating her house.
My plan had been to use the table as a train table. I was planning on removing the legs and putting wheels and then being able to roll it under the couch when not in use. Plans don’t always work out the way that you plan them though. I did remove the legs, I did add the wheels but the table was much bigger than I had planned and I didn’t realize that we have a leg in the couch right in the middle for support so the table could not roll under it. That left me with a ginormous table on wheels in the middle of the living room. Not what I was looking for. So the table went out to the shed and the chairs into the basement. The chairs were just given to me because they were part of the set and I figured that with all the entertaining that we do, we could always use extra chairs. Then we took them outside during a cook-out and we sort of forgot about them. They were out there in the weather for several months, thankfully under the porch overhang but they got pretty beat up anyways. I brought them into the basement and just left them there.
Well now that we found our new place that we will be moving to (more on that later), I have space for my godmother’s table that is currently being used in the breezeway just as an entry table with the funky lime green chairs currently in our kitchen/dining area in the kitchen but we also have a dining room in the new place. So my plan is to use the big table we use in the kitchen now in the dining room and I got to thinking about those chairs that I was going to donate to Good Will. Could I fix them up to use them in a formal way in our dining room?
These are the chairs before. The wood has begun to crack from being out in the elements. The cushions are stained from the rain and the leaves and the dirt. But not unsalvageable. What could I do with them?
I started by wiping them down and removing the cushions. They are sturdy and just needed some tightening of the screws to reinforce them. This is what they looked like before I started.
And you can see the cushion on the left here. I decided to paint them white and try a funky but formal fabric on the seat cushions. So I ran to JoAnn’s Fabrics and got a couple of yards of a fabric that really grabbed my attention. The fabric was priced at $7.99/yard but it rang up at $5.99/yard, which made me a very happy girl.
So here is the next step. I primed the chairs with spray primer. It’s faster and you get a lot of coverage. After I applied the primer though, I realized that the split wood was even more noticeable than it was when the chairs were just wood tone.
This is what they looked like where the wood was split. Not so pretty. So I ran out to Lowe’s and bought a small jar of wood filler. I came home and started to fill the gaps and sanded a little and primed over where I had put the wood filler and covered the cushions. I didn’t take a picture of covering the cushions but I am sure you get the idea.
This was my finished product:
I think they came out great ! I love them and I can’t wait to move them into the new house and use them. They make me very happy and it cost me very little. To think that I was going to donate them and then I would have been looking for chairs. So glad that I have an ambitious creative side. What do you think of the make-over?
My life is an open book. As you read through my posts, you are turning the pages of my life. I believe that everything happens for a reason and God will only give you what you can handle. I am a strong woman and my life has been full of trials. I am happy to share the stories of my life with you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Catching up...oh yeah, and I bought a house.
Catching up is the understatement of the year. It's been quite a while since I have been here. The truth is that life has been one adven...
-
So Jose and I have been searching high and low for a house. Just Friday and Saturday alone were hours of looking, making appointments, seein...
-
Today was CJ's first day of pre-school. He was really happy the whole way there and when we drove up, he said.."mama, not miss gina...
-
I am sorry that I have not written a few days. I have been feeling under the weather lately to say the least. Sunday I spent in bed most of ...






No comments:
Post a Comment