Friday, July 16, 2010

Progress On CJ's Birthday Party

As tempting as it is, I really need to stop hanging out on the couch with Jose just cuddling and watching movies and some of our favorite series. It has actually put me farther behind this week than I wanted to be but I am still ahead of where I normally am, so I guess I am still in good shape.
So yesterday I did it! I finally baked the cake that I had planned on having done on Wednesday. Not bad, just one day off schedule. Tonight I will decorate it so that it is all ready for tomorrow's party. I can't wait to see CJ's face when he sees everything pulled together into one nice package at his party.
Of course, I didn't stop at the cake though. In doing more research, I found some great ideas on various blogs using colored chocolate and marshmallows and rice cereal treats. I have to admit that I wasn't sure how this would all turn out but CJ LOVES both marshmallows and rice cereal treats so I had to at least give them a try. Having worked with chocolate a lot, I was still well within my comfort zone. I bought both orange and yellow chocolate to stay with the color scheme that I am doing for the construction party. I only worked with the orange chocolate last night because it got late. I will work with the yellow chocolate tonight. Here is what I did...

These are the chocolate dipped marshmallows. The idea is to thread two or three marshmallows on a skewer for snacking. The skewers will be put, marshmallow side up, in a cup holding about 1/2 dozen or so skewers for easy picking. These were easier to make than I had imagined but my creative juices must have been tired because I find them boring. Of course, they are not done yet so I guess I shouldn't complain. I think that I am going to use to marshmallows per skewer. I am thinking using the ones already done as the top one and then using one below it rolled in the colored sugar instead of the chocolate for a different look. I will have to see if I can make it work. I am not sure how I will get the sugar to stick yet so I might be biting off more than I can chew.


These are the chocolate covered rice cereal treats. They are rice cereal treats with a popsicle stick to make for easy grabbing and then dipped into chocolate. I added yellow sugar to them but the colors are so close that you can't see the sugar at all. I had hoped that it would show up and give a contrasting color. Oh well ! I will wrap them in clear wrap tonight and add a mis-match bow to finish them off. I can't wait to see these completely done and plated because I think these are going to be my favorite. I like them better than the chocolate covered pretzel rods that I make...can you imagine?!


Here is a closer shot and if you look really close, you can actually see the yellow sugar on the orange chocolate but it is really hard to see. Next time I will use sprinkles instead of sugar. I didn't really think it through all the way with this.

I had a lot of fun making these and although they are coming out great, I can't wait to change them up and try new and different things with them too. Now that I have the concept, I can allow my creative juices flow and have so much fun with these ideas for all my parties. And for those of you wondering...NO ! I did not make the rice cereal treats. I like to take the semi-homemade way to save time and these treats are really cheap at Aldi's anyways so it worked for me. Maybe one day I will venture off and see if I can make the rice cereal treats from scratch too. I am sure that it would be cheaper that way but not sure that I want the added work. My creativity is in the decorating, that is where I have my fun.
My boss, the biggest sweet tooth that I know, actually gave me a great idea. She claims to not have a creative bone in her body but sometimes she gives me ideas that I can really run with. I was telling her about the chocolate covered marshmallows and she told me that if I added a graham cracker to it, it would be a smore all wrapped into a bite. So I got to thinking for the future...I am going to try doing the marshmallows dipped in brown milk chocolate and then dipped in graham cracker crumbs. I think that they would be a great addition to a "milk and cookies party" or a "hot chocolate bar" or even just a nice winter treat. Can't wait to try them out! Thanks for the great idea Janet, you can be my tester for this when I make it...lol !

No comments:

Catching up...oh yeah, and I bought a house.

Catching up is the understatement of the year. It's been quite a while since I have been here. The truth is that life has been one adven...