Thursday, January 7, 2016

Job Corp


So Nathan has been in Job Corp for about six months now. I really can’t begin to tell you how wonderful this program is. The truth is that I had almost given up on Nathan. I had certainly given up the idea of him graduating from high school. He had given up on himself.

 

Then the school briefly mentioned Job Corp. It wasn’t the first time I had heard about it. One of my friends from work had mentioned that her niece had gone to Job Corp and it was the best thing that ever happened to her. I did some research though and I really didn’t find much on it at all. What I did find was something about income eligibility and I dismissed the whole thing because I knew that we wouldn’t qualify for that. I mean, we feel like we are poor but we always make too much money to qualify for anything. So when the school mentioned it, I decided to pick up a phone and speak to someone. I was pleasantly surprised.

 

I called and point blank told her that although the school had mentioned the program that I was sure we qualified. It was explained to me that when a child has a diagnosis that the income requirements fall on the student alone and since Nathan does not work, he qualifies. That call was followed up with an appointment to an Open House.

 

The Open House was great. I love everything they stand for and what they are doing for these kids. I was a bit concerned that Nathan wouldn’t be interested. They had no internet except for school things, they had a curfew, they had to do their own laundry, the list went on and on. All great things but not things that I ever thought in a million years my son would want to be a part of. He is a teenager after all. When walking to the car when the Open House was over, Nathan told me he wanted to do it. I don’t really know who had a bigger smile, me or him. We got stuck in traffic on our way back home and it took us almost two hours to get home. The whole ride we talked about the program. I can’t remember the last time I have seen Nathan so excited about anything. Just seeing him smile, made it all worthwhile.

 

He started in July, the Tuesday after CJ’s birthday party.

 

So as I was saying, Nathan has been in the program  for almost six months now. He lives there during the week and comes home on the weekends. He came home for a three week break for Christmas and New Year. I love to hear him talk about his week. There is excitement in his voice and he is really having a good time. His academics are great. He is a third of the way done on his tests for his high school diploma. He is steadily working on his training for Construction. I was so surprised when he chose Construction as a trade. He enjoys it though. He has a best friend, who has finished the program and I am sure that he misses. But he has other friends too.

 

Nathan has a girlfriend too. Well, they have been together on and off before but I guess it’s more of a grown up relationship now. She came with us to Six Flags in October to my company outing. She seems like a good kid. She has her own issues like Nathan though and I worry that they can’t be as supportive to each other when they are dealing with their own demons but I am happy that they are happy. Who am I to say what is right and wrong.

 

Job Corp has changed Nathan in so many ways. We have more conversations. He is more outgoing. He is more social. He looks forward to his future. I just don’t know where we would be without it. It gave me hope when I had lost hope and it is a blessing.

 

 

No comments:

Catching up...oh yeah, and I bought a house.

Catching up is the understatement of the year. It's been quite a while since I have been here. The truth is that life has been one adven...