Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Spiritual Food

Yesterday I had my first private bible study. That is what I call it. Fridays were starting to get really hectic. Trying to make it in time was stressing me out. Not being able to make it made me even more stressed. I need this to find my spiritual self and yet I wasn’t.
 
So after much back and forth with Diane, we finally decided on Monday nights. Last night was my first night. As I showed up at the door, I had butterflies in my stomach. Why in the world did I have butterflies in my stomach. I am not quite sure but I was anxious to get started.
 
It was a little weird at first. I mean I have gone to three other meetings there at Ray and Diane’s house but it was always a bible study group. There were other people there and hearing other thoughts and questions opened up my mind. Here I was alone. The attention was on me. What did I want to learn about? What questions did I have for them? That is the problem. I am not even sure I know what the questions are that I am looking for answers to.
 
So Diane jumped right in to Ephesians, a book I am not even sure that I knew existed. Don’t judge me. The whole reason I am studying the bible to is learn. One of my favorite things about studying the bible with Diane and Ray is that they are not afraid of any questions. They don’t answer questions with fluff. They don’t fill your head with bible quotes that are out of context. We look at the whole context. We talk about how it’s fitting and what I think. It’s an interactive process and that couldn’t be any better for someone like me.
 
Then we went to the beginning. Genesis… and it starts with “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth”. Ray pointed out that it wasn’t the beginning. God has no beginning and no end. The angels were already with God. It was not the beginning. It was the beginning of the physical world. “And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep.” We talked about the world having darkness and God said “let there be light” but it’s not the moon or the sun because God had not created them yet. It was talking about the darkness that the earth was filled with because Lucifer and 1/3 of the angels fell from heaven. Lucifer wanted to be just like God. He wanted to be a God. There is only one God. So Lucifer fell out of heaven. God did not throw him out. His choices made him fall. I had never heard it referred to that way. So Lucifer made the earth dark. And then we briefly talked about the earth being covered with water and how that was the 1st flood that many don’t know about…I will have to learn so much more about that. I mean listen to me….I am in Genesis. I am at the beginning and in three sentences I have learned more than I ever knew. I had read those lines so many times and each time I went through it quickly to next part. I mean who doesn’t know the story of creation. Apparently I don’t.
 
Almost two and a half hours later Diane started wrapping it up. I had no idea that much time had passed. I couldn’t believe that we had spent that much time talking and reading. I feel like I have so much to learn. I DO have so much to learn. I was happy to take each and every bit of information that Diane and Ray were willing to help me understand. I can’t wait for next week. I love this journey that I am on.

No comments:

Catching up...oh yeah, and I bought a house.

Catching up is the understatement of the year. It's been quite a while since I have been here. The truth is that life has been one adven...