Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Toothpick !

What a freakin' couple of days. Tuesday night I stepped on a toothpick. It barely punctured the skin but just enough to stick and make me have to take it out. It bled out so little that I didn't need anything. I just wiped it with my finger and it was done. I put peroxide on it and laid down. The pain seemed to get worst as the night went on and I couldn't sleep so I took an 800mg Motrin for the pain. Shortly after I fell asleep. When i got up in the morning it was still sore but I just figured that feet just take longer to heal so I put my socks and boots on and went to work. As the day went on it began to hurt more and more. I took another Motrin and managed to get through the day. When I got home and took off my socks and boots, my foot was swollen...almost double the size of my other foot. By the end of the night I was in so much pain that I was in tears...mind you, I have a very high tolerance for pain. I left a message for the dr on call and took another Motrin to ease the pain. The dr didn't call back but it's all good because I actually fell asleep and slept good with the pain meds.
This morning I called and the nurse told me to come right in. No questions asked, no appointment, just come in. That alone made me scared. So the doctor looks at it and says it's infected and pretty badly. He has me on antibotics and I have to go back to have him look at it on Tuesday. It needs to go down...the swelling, redness and hotness of it. He drew on my foot and told me that if it goes past where he drew then I need to get into the urgent care asap, not to wait for the follow up appointment...talk about making me stressed ! He said that my foot is too swollen for him to be able to tell but because of where it punctured, it might have hit a tendon and if that's the case then they might need to do a surgical procedure to look at it and fix any damage that it might have done. He said a few more things after that but honestly, I stopped listening after he said "surgical procedure". I think that I went into shock.
This is insane ! It was a damn toothpick ! It just punctured the skin and that was all ! Now I am keeping a close eye on foot and praying that this heals quickly and propperly and doesn't require surgery.

No comments:

Catching up...oh yeah, and I bought a house.

Catching up is the understatement of the year. It's been quite a while since I have been here. The truth is that life has been one adven...