Friday, August 31, 2012

The 2012-2013 School Year

The 2012-2013 school year has officially begun. Begun…is that the correct way to say that or should I say began. Oh well, let me go on.

CJ and Nathan started school on Wednesday and Larissa started school on Thursday. It is really too soon to tell what kind of year it’s going to be but I will do everything in my power to make it the best possible year. Of course, I tried to do the same thing last year but that failed….literally. Honestly though, I think that both Nathan and Larissa gave up at some point making any efforts on my part or on the part of the school completely pointless.

I have signed up for MMS. That is a parental site that allows me to see what assignments they have due, when they are due and if they are handed in. I can also see grades once they are posted, or at least that is what I am told. So far, Nathan has three assignments due in Physical Science so I can sort of tell how the site works. I am not sure yet if it will be as good as I had hoped though. The assignments are listed by name but that means nothing to me. So I still have no idea what is due, just that an assignment named “the maze” is due on Sept 4th. Now I know what that is because Nathan told me but I am pretty sure that at one point, I am going to tell him something is due and he won’t know what I am talking about. Or Larissa for that matter.

Larissa seems excited about this school year. Apparently she never really like the kids in her class last year and all of her friends were juniors anyways so she will be graduating with them now. I just don’t understand my daughter. I am pretty sure that is not reason enough to throw away a year’s worth of education and of life just to graduate with your friends. But then again, there is little that I truly understand about the way that Larissa thinks of her education. She is looking forward to the yearbook and prom and graduation and her class ring. Most of those things she never got to do last year or even showed any interest in. Right now, I am just staying optimistic because that is all that I can do. I want to be supportive of the things she does. Here she is the first day of school. She hates her hair that she had to chop off because she destroyed it from dying it too much so she wasn’t thrilled to take the picture.
CJ loves his teacher too. He misses some of the kids that are not in his class anymore but he still sees them at recess and lunch so it’s not a big deal. He enjoys school and I hope to keep it that way. Watching CJ grow just makes me smile. He enjoys spending so much time outside and I love that he does. He plays with the neighbors each and every day. I wonder what will happen when the weather turns cold and it’s too cold to play outside. Here is picture right before heading off to the first day of school. He could not wait to get out the door.
CJ has started karate. He has had his first two meetings and his classes start next week. He will be going every Tuesday and Thursday. He can go as many times during the week as he wants at no additional cost. I love the karate school that he is enrolled in. I think that they will help him grow into a well-rounded boy. I really wanted Nathan to go too but he has no interest in it at all. I won’t push it on him. Here is CJ getting his white belt. They teach the kids that all things in life must be earned so he had to earn his white belt. I think that is awesome.
Nathan has been doing better on his meds. He has been playing with CJ and getting things done. He has already started his project that is due on Sept 4th and it’s not a rushed project, he is actually taking time to make it look really nice. I am proud of him and I hope that this is an indication of what the school year will be like for us. He still shows no interest in any extra-curricular activities but I am enjoying the small changes. The biggest thing is that it has not changed his personality. He is still a clown and full of jokes. I don’t ever want his personality to be masked by the meds. Here he is the first day of school. He really does not like to take pictures at all.
So that is it. That is how the school year has started. I hope to have some good progress this year and will try to document it all here. I hope everyone has a great 2012-2013 school year !

No comments:

Catching up...oh yeah, and I bought a house.

Catching up is the understatement of the year. It's been quite a while since I have been here. The truth is that life has been one adven...